Thursday, March 20, 2008

Davidson in the media spotlight

The national media has zeroed in on Davidson here in Raleigh, and that leads to lots of repeats of the same question to star Stephen Curry and coach Bob McKillop.

Why did they end up at Davidson, or, in McKillop's case, why will he stay?
Everyone here is amazed that someone like Curry, with his 25-point average, could end up at Davidson and not an ACC school. Curry has acknowledged he dreamed of playing at Virginia Tech as a youngster, but he changed his mindset later.

"Once high school and reality set in, I had to go somewhere else," he said. "Every player has dreams of where they want to go, but they have to look at what's on the table. You have to take what's out there."

That doesn't mean Curry feels like he "settled" for Davidson. He's happy to be a Wildcat.

"I don't have a chip on my shoulder," he said. "It's not like I say, 'hey ACC coaches, look what you missed out on. It has really worked out well for me. I'm pretty happy here."

McKillop has been at Davidson 19 years, and he's been asked about that longevity all week.

"This has been a great experience for my family," he said. "Without happiness for them, there is no happiness for me."

Don't expect either of them to leave for a while. But expect them to get those questions again, maybe before this season is over.

0 comments: