Friday, April 17, 2009

No decision yet from Lawson, Ellington

CHAPEL HILL — North Carolina coach Roy Williams plans to gather information from at least 10 different NBA general managers before juniors Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington make their final decisions about whether to turn pro.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare is April 26; the NBA only allows players to withdraw their name from the draft once. Since both did that last year, their decisions this time around will be final.

“I think they are relying on the information, not necessarily my advice, because they’re going to do what they want to do, and that’s what I want them to do, but I want it to be an informed decision,’’ Williams said Thursday, after the team’s awards ceremony.

“And I’m extremely happy regardless of what they do. … If they decide to come back, of course I’ll coach them. If they don’t, I’ll go back and say it again: I’m extremely thankful for what they’ve already done and that I was able to coach them for three years.”

Williams, whose team won the NCAA title earlier this month, has only had a chance to visit with Lawson and his parents for about 25 minutes; Lawson was the ACC’s Player of the Year this season. Meanwhile, Williams has only had a chance to chat with Ellington, the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, for about five minutes.

“I’ve told them, ‘relax, and enjoy the dickens out of this time period. You don’t have to be 75 years old tomorrow.’’’ Williams said. “So we haven’t pushed it, and there’s no need to push it right now. I’m just gathering information for them.”

Lawson and Ellington were not available for comment.

-- Robbi Pickeral

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are staying and unc is going to make a run at back to back