Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Queasy memory for Williams

CHAPEL HILL — Thinking back to Kansas' 40-12 game-opening run last season during the NCAA national semi-finals still makes UNC coach Roy Williams a bit queasy. But not, apparently, as sick as he was that day, when he coached with the stomach flu.

"It bothered me because of the scenario, it bothered me because of the way we played, it bothered me because I thought we would really play well,'' Williams said of the eventual 84-66 loss.

"It bothered me because I'm throwing up in a towel because I'm sick as a dog. It's the first time in 21 years as a head coach I've ever leaned over to an assistant and told him stand up and call a play. ... I've got memories there that are going to last with me forever. Plus I felt it was very very very very very -- add as many as you want -- unfair treatment of me two days later [when fans took him to task for wearing a Jayhawks sticker to the national championship game]. So I'm going to remember it after you guys are all dead and gone."

The Tar Heels will play Villanova on Saturday in this year's national semifinal game, hoping there won't be a repeat of the ill performance.

-- Robbi Pickeral

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Coach K is so bad then what are you hole fans going to say when he passes your beloved Dean Smith in wins and by the way already has more Championships then Dean ever won and yes how do you explain winning 8 out of the last 12 ACC Championships? That is some terrible numbers for a coach that is suddenly just forgotten how to coach. Hole fans are idiots who must of you didn't even graduate High School. Keep bringing in quality guys like Rasheed Wallace who majored in video games. What are joke.

Anonymous said...

Most of you Heel fans are just mad because you work for the Duke graduate.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dookie. Are you even a US citizen? Your student body looks like the freaking UN. Notice K couldn't win squat in the ACC until retired. He is nothing but an ahole.

Anonymous said...

"who must of you didn't even graduate High School"? "What are joke"?

Indeed...

Anonymous said...

Dean owned K.

Anonymous said...

Roy owns K.

Anonymous said...

You didn't win the ACC championship....AGAIN.....You won the ACC TOURNAMENT Championship moron. Slow clap for you. The JV trophy. Wait till you see the big pretty one Carolina brings home monday night. Very nice that you measure your program on ACC banners. We measure ours on National titles that we are AGAIN in position to win just like last year. BTW Rasheed Wallace played in 95 and 96. Is that really the best you could come up with??? At least they didnt major in "Mantango" like Laetner, Davis, and Paulus. GAY.

Anonymous said...

Mickey owns K. She wears the pants there too.

Anonymous said...

Tyler H. owns K.

Anonymous said...

Hey, if I didn't graduate High School then how would I know what O for 2 means??? 0 for 2 is what Dukes record against Carolina in 2008-2009. Pretty good for us Walmart fans. I'll take that math all day.

Anonymous said...

Most of you Duke fans are just mad because you live in New Jersey and don't know where Duke is. And it's not on "the shore" guido. Go get me a Jagerbomb chief and pipe down before you get "whacked".

Anonymous said...

Danny G. owns K.

Tarheel paul said...

Is it not true that Cameron Indorr stadium will now be renamed Hansbrough Memorial Stadium ? He owns the Dukies. Say what you want you will never be on the big stage again. Duke player will trade uniforms for suits and sit next to their beloved on the bench and shine his shoes.

Anonymous said...

Um, the tournament championship IS the official ACC championship. Call the league office or look it up. Thanks. Oh,and K has three National Titles, Dean has two.

Regards,
Deacon Fan.

Anonymous said...

Is Roy really making MORE excuses???

"We got demolished by Kansas because I was sick and because I couldn't call plays and because people were mean to me when I endorsed the team that just kicked our a*s and Ty's hurt and waah waah waah"