Tuesday, December 7, 2010

UNC's Drew II looking for a better shot

CHAPEL HILL - What's point guard Larry Drew II's solution to finally getting his shot to fall?

Take better ones, said the North Carolina junior, who is 8-for-34 (25.5 percent) this season.

"I know why my shots haven't been falling - even my dad brought it to my attention,'' he said, referring to his father, Larry Drew, who is head coach of the NBA's Atlanta Hawks.

"All of my first shots have been 3-pointers, and it's kind of like where I've been getting the ball through the offense, early on in the game. If my first shot is a 3 all the time, and it doesn't go in, the basket might shrink a little bit. He tells me just to get easier [shots] or a better shot. Instead of getting a 3 for my first shot, get to the foul line, or shoot a floater or a pull-up. Work my way out."

Although he was only 2-for-7 during Saturday's win over No. 10 Kentucky, Drew played his best game, by far of the season, picking up his defensive intensity while playing with poise down the stretch. Now, he just wants to add better offense to the mix, although he knows it will come.

"My confidence is right where it needs to be at this point in the season," he said.

The Tar Heels (5-3) play at Evansville (3-3) on Wednesday.

-- Robbi Pickeral

0 comments: