Thursday, September 2, 2010

UNC coach: My players had no contact with tutor

North Carolina coach Roy Williams said Thursday morning that his basketball players have not had contact with the tutor who is being investigated for possible academic misconduct with football players.

In an interview with The News & Observer, Williams said no one can ever be 100 percent sure that the school’s academic investigation won’t carry over to other programs.

“But I have, since the news has been out there, checked with our people to see if we had anybody involved with that specific tutor; is this something that I’m going to get a call about in the middle of the night?” he said.

“And I’ve been assured that it’s not going to be a call I’m going get in the middle of the night, and I’ve been assured that there has not been any contact with that particular tutor. That’s as far as I can go; that’s as far as they want me to ask. They want me to keep my nose out of it, and I’m trying to do that – and gladly doing that, to be honest with you.”

The football program is currently mired in two investigations. The NCAA, since early July, has been looking into the Tar Heels’ possible improper contact with agents.

Last week, the school also launched a probe into whether a tutor – who formerly worked for both UNC, and head football coach Butch Davis – gave improper help to football players with papers written for class.

- Robbi Pickeral

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting wording with roy's comments. When i was in school all the bball players chilled with the fball players and vice versa. If the NCAA digs, it will surely find some correlations...unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

"I’ve been assured that there has not been any contact with THAT PARTICULAR TUTOR."

Hmmmmm. Also, some of the football players at question were on Roy's 2008-09 basketball team. Hmmmmm. The Carolina Way: To seem rather than to be.