Friday, July 23, 2010

Rogers draws applause at N.C. Pro-Am

Rodney Rogers received an extended ovation at N.C. Central's McDougald-McLendon Gym on Thursday when he spoke to the crowd at halftime of the 6 p.m. game at the SJG Greater NC Pro-Am.

Rogers, the former NBA, Wake Forest and Durham Hillside star, has been confined to a wheelchair since a dirt-bike accident left him paralyzed below the shoulders in 2008. He was at the Pro-Am on Thursday to raise money for his foundation, which provides financial support to paralysis victims.

"Keep praying for me, that I'll get up and walk out of this chair someday," Rogers said. "I want everybody to know I made it through. It was tough at first, but I made it. I want to get to more of these games, so I can have some fun."

Rogers wasn't the only celebrity in attendance Thursday night. John Wall, only a month removed from being selected first overall in the NBA Draft, came by with a few friends to watch Duke recruit Kyrie Irving play in the 7 p.m. game.

-- Luke DeCock


0 comments: